- "No, no, guys! You've got the wrong Buzz! You've got the wrong Buzz!"
- —Andy's Buzz, trapped in a cardboard box, as Andy's toys mistake Utility Belt Buzz for himself
Utility Belt Buzz (a.k.a. Buzz #2 and New Buzz) is a minor character in Toy Story 2. Being a toy, he is essentially like every other Buzz Lightyear manufactured, as he believes he is a real space ranger, but sports a new accessory belt. He looks very identical to Andy's Buzz, except with a blue utility belt.
Toy Story 2
- "Listen to me! Listen to me! You're not really a Space Ranger! You're a toy! We're all toys! Do you hear me?!"
- —Andy's Buzz, as Utility Belt Buzz imprisons him in a cardboard box
While searching through Al's Toy Barn, Andy's Buzz Lightyear discovers an aisle full of new Buzz Lightyear action figures. He sees "NEW UTILITY BELT!" on the display stand and climbs up to encounter this Buzz Lightyear action figure. When he foolishly attempts to take this Buzz's belt, the Utility Belt Buzz suddenly springs to life, mistaking him for a rogue space ranger and overpowering him in a fight. Utility Belt Buzz, not knowing he is a toy, subdues Andy's Buzz and takes the latter as the former's prisoner. Utility Belt Buzz ties and stuffs Andy's Buzz into a Buzz Lightyear box as Andy's Buzz tries to convince Utility Belt Buzz that he is a toy, but he takes no attention. Irritated by Andy's Buzz's "misbehavior," Utility Belt Buzz isolates Andy's Buzz by placing him on the shelf with the newer Buzz Lightyear toys. He, like the original Buzz in the previous film, believes that he is a real space ranger, although he is apparently even more deluded than Andy's Buzz (e.g. when Andy's Buzz has mumbled whether he has been this deluded in embarrassment of his former behavior).
When Tour Guide Barbie drives the toys into the Buzz Lightyear aisle, Hamm calls to Utility Belt Buzz, thinking he's Andy's Buzz. Utility Belt Buzz turns on his laser as Tour Guide Barbie stops the car. He is at first suspicious of Andy's toys, but when Rex excitedly claims that he knows how to defeat the Evil Empror Zurg, Utility Belt Buzz becomes convinced to join the toys on their quest, considering Rex as his ally while thinking that they are on a mission to infiltrate Zurg's fortress and defeat the emperor himself. The toys then leave the aisle, leaving Andy's Buzz tied up in a box on the shelf, struggling to get out. At one time, he nicknames Hamm, Mr. Potato Head, and Rex "slotted pig," "vegetable man," and "lizard man," respectively, and imagines the owner of Al's Toy Barn (Al McWhiggin, the same man who has kidnapped Woody) as a possible agent of Zurg. He tells the toys to get into Al's bag, thinking it might lead him to Zurg. After the toys arrive outside the building that houses Al's Penthouse, Utility Belt Buzz finds the air vent and navigates the toys through the vent and up the elevator shaft with his grappling hook on his new utility belt, despite Mr. Potato Head growing more suspicious of his cocky attitude ("I'm Buzz Lightyear. I'm always sure!"). During the climb, Rex pushes the toys to the bottom of the line and causes Utility Belt Buzz's strength to give out, prompting him to activate his anti-gravity servos (unaware that he is just a toy). Despite protest from the toys, Utility Belt Buzz lets go of the wall, and the toys land on a rising elevator that takes them up to level 23. He thinks that his anti-gravity servos are really working, however.Utility Belt Buzz acts literally when he tells Rex to "use your head," as the toys then use him as a battering ram to break into Al's penthouse. In the ensuing melee that follows, Utility Belt Buzz and the toys grab Woody and head back for the vent, but Andy's Buzz stops them. In a brief argument between the two Buzz Lightyear toys, Andy's Buzz opens Utility Belt Buzz's helmet (causing the other Buzz to suffocate under "toxic" air) and proves that he is the Buzz the other toys recognize by flashing Andy's name written on the bottom of his foot; though before this, the toys were willing to accept him when they didn't buy Utility Belt Buzz's behavior. Utility Belt Buzz is confused at what he is witnessing after regaining his composure, but is stunned to learn from Andy's Buzz about "Code 546," then walks over to Woody and kneels in front of him, addressing Woody as "Your Majesty."
When the toys head back to the elevator after Al packs Woody and the Roundup gang into his case and leaves the room, they encounter a Zurg action figure (let loose by Andy's Buzz when leaving Al's Toy Barn), whom Utility Belt Buzz battles. During this fight, Zurg claims that he is Buzz's father. After Rex accidentally knocks Zurg down the elevator shaft with his tail, Utility Belt Buzz forlornly thinks he has lost his father. After the toys leave the apartment, Andy's Buzz runs into Utility Belt Buzz one last time when the other Buzz is last seen playing ball with Zurg to form a real father-son bond. He describes Zurg as a "great dad," as Andy's Buzz bids him farewell with a Vulcan salute.
Toy Story 3
By the time of Toy Story 3, it is unknown what had become of Utility Belt Buzz. He is referenced, however, in the Buzz Lightyear manual at Sunnyside Daycare, describing the Buzz Lightyear Utility Belt as an upcoming accessory.
Utility Belt Features
- Hamm: "Say, where'd you get the cool belt, Buzz?"
Buzz #2: "Well, slotted pig, they're standard issue."
- —Hamm asks Buzz #2 about his new utility belt
- Anti-Gravity Servo - when the button in the center of the belt is pressed, it will light up and make noises, mirroring how it was used in Buzz Lightyear: Attack on Zurg (in the game, it lights up and creates a bubble around Buzz).
- Climbing Magnets - on each side of the belt, protruding handles can be pulled out and magnets will fold out of each. These magnets can be used to scale metal surfaces. In addition, a grappling hook is stored in the back compartment of the belt.
- When Utility Belt Buzz fights with Zurg, the latter claims he is the former's father, a word-to-word parody of when Darth Vader reveals that he is Luke Skywalker's father in Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back.
- The shot of Andy's Buzz Lightyear climbing up the display only to encounter the new Buzz Lightyear standing tall is a direct resemblance to the one of Woody climbing up Andy's bed to encounter the original Buzz standing tall in the first film.
- The part where Andy's Buzz opens the newer Buzz's helmet to make him gasp for air mirrors the part when Woody opens the original Buzz's helmet in the previous film.
- Like Andy's Buzz from the first film, this Buzz believes himself to be a real space-ranger, albeit worse this time.
- There is also a Toy Story Collection version of Utility Belt Buzz.
- In Toy Story 2: The Video Game, Utility Belt Buzz is a boss at Al's Space Land riding a moon buggy. Strangely, however, he doesn't have the utility belt.
- Code 6404.5, as Utility Belt Buzz mentions, is actually the California "No-Smoking" Code.
- In the novelization of Toy Story 2, Utility Belt Buzz is not shown playing catch with Zurg, but instead carrying his lifeless body back to Al's Toy Barn to rest.
- Buzz: "Ow! What are you doing?"
Buzz #2: "You're in direct violation of Code 6404.5 stating all space rangers are to be in hyper-sleep until awakened by authorized personnel."
Buzz: "Oh no."
Buzz #2: "You're breaking ranks, ranger. (opens his wrist communicator) Buzz Lightyear to Star Command: I've got an AWOL Space Ranger."
Buzz: "Tell me I wasn't this deluded."
Buzz #2: "No back talk! I have a laser, and I will use it."
Buzz: "You mean the laser that's a light bulb?" (activates the laser of Buzz #2; Buzz #2 gasps)
Buzz #2: "Has your mind been melded? You could've killed me, Space Ranger! Or should I say traitor?" (turns on laser that beams onto Buzz's forehead)
Buzz: (walks away) "I don't have time for this."
Buzz #2: (keeping his laser beam on Buzz) "Halt! I order you to halt!"
- —Andy's Buzz and Buzz #2 in their first confrontation
- Buzz: "Ow! Listen to me! Listen to me! You're not really a Space Ranger! You're a toy! We're all toys! Do you hear me?!"
Buzz #2: "Well, that should hold you until the court marshall."
Buzz: "Let me go! You don't realize what you're doing!"
- —Buzz #2 stuffs Andy's Buzz into an empty cardboard box
- Hamm: "Hey, Buzz!"
Buzz #2: "Halt! Who goes there?" (turns on laser)
Mr. Potato Head: "Quit clowning around and get in the car!"
Rex: "Buzz, Buzz, I know how to defeat Zurg!"
Buzz #2: (turns off laser) "You do?"
Rex: "Come on, I'll tell you on the way."
- —Hamm, Rex, and Mr. Potato Head call to Buzz #2
- Rex: You see, all along, we thought the way into Zurg's fortress was through the main gate, but in fact, the secret entrance is to the left, hidden in the shadows."
Buzz #2 (taking notes): "To the left in the shadows, got it."
- —Rex tells Buzz #2 some secrets he has learned from the video game manual
- Slinky: "It's him."
Hamm: "The chicken man."
Buzz #2: "Funny, he doesn't look like poultry."
Slinky: "That's the kidnapper all right."
Buzz #2: "A kidnapper...agent of Zurg if I ever saw one."
- —Buzz #2 and the toys, as Al enters his office
- "Quick, into the poultry man's cargo unit. He'll lead us to Zurg."
- —Buzz #2 motions the toys to hide in Al's bag
- Rex: "Aah! He didn't take the bag!"
Buzz #2: "No time to lose! (jumps out of the bag) He's ascending in the vertical transporter. (opens his wings) All right, everyone. Hang on, we're gonna blast through the roof."
Rex: "Uh, Buzz?"
Buzz #2: "To infinity and beyond!" (nothing happens)
Mr. Potato Head: "What are you insane? We're wasting time. (to Rex) Stand still, Godzilla."
Buzz #2: (closes his wings) "I don't understand. Somehow my fuel cells have gone dry."
- —Buzz #2 and the toys, as Al leaves his bag in his car
- "Blast! He's on level 23."
- —Buzz #2, as the elevator floor indicator at Al's apartment points to 23
- Buzz #2: "Troops, over here! Just like you've said, Lizard Man, in the shadows to the left. Okay, let's move. 'Mission log: having infiltrated enemy territory without detection, and are making our way through the bowels of Zurg's fortress.'"
Hamm: "You know, I think that Buzz aisle went to his head."
Slinky Dog: (the toys approach an intersection) "Which way do we go?"
Buzz #2: "This way."
Mr. Potato Head: "What makes you so sure?"
Buzz #2: "I'm Buzz Lightyear. I'm always sure! We've been detected. The walls! They're closing in! Quick, help me prop up vegetable man or we're done for!"
Mr. Potato Head: "Hey! Put me down, you moron!"
Rex: "Hey, guys, look! It's not the walls, it's the elevator!"
Buzz #2: "Come on, we've got no time to lose. Everyone, grab hold!"
Hamm: "Uh, Buzz, why not just take the elevator?"
Buzz #2: "They'll be expecting that!"
- —Buzz #2 leads the toys through the air vent
- Mr. Potato Head: "Hey! How much farther, Buzz?"
Buzz #2: "Halfway there."
Rex: "My arms can't hold on much longer!" (slips and pushes the toys to the end of the line)
Buzz #2: "Too...heavy...what was I thinking? My antigravity servos! (activates his antigravity servos) Hang tight, everyone. I'm going to let go of the wall."
Mr. Potato Head: "He wouldn't."
Buzz #2: "One."
Hamm: "He would."
Buzz #2: "Two."
All toys: (protest)
Buzz #2: "Three! (the toys fall, and land on the rising elevator) To infinity and beyond! Approaching destination. Reengaging gravity. (deactivates his antigravity servos) Area secure. (turns to see the toys feeling dizzy) It's okay, troops. The antigravity sickness will wear off momentarily. Now let's move."
Mr. Potato Head: "Remind me to glue his helmet shut when we get back."
- —Buzz #2 and the toys go up the elevator shaft
- Buzz #2: "Mission log: having reached Zurg's command deck, but no sign of him or his wooden captive"
Slinky Dog: (hearing Woody) "That's Woody!" (howls)
Buzz #2: "This way."
Mr. Potato Head: "Buzz, can you see? What's going on? (He pokes his eye through the vent) To the left. No, your left. Take it up higher."
Buzz #2: "What's happening?"
Mr. Potato Head: "Oh, it's...it's horrible. They're...they're torturing him."
Rex (gasps): "What are we going to do, Buzz?"
Buzz #2: "Use your head."
Rex: "But I don't wanna use my head!"
- —Buzz #2 and the toys reach Al's apartment, and use Rex as a battering ram
- Buzz: "Hold it right there!"
Buzz #2: "You again?"
Buzz: "Woody, thank goodness you're all right."
Woody: "Buzz, what is going on?"
Buzz #2: "Hold on! I am Buzz Lightyear, and I'm in charge of this detachment."
Buzz: "No. I'm Buzz Lightyear."
Buzz #2: "I am Buzz Lightyear!"
Buzz: "I'm Buzz Lightyear!"
Woody: "So, who's the real Buzz?"
Buzz & Buzz #2: "I AM!!"
Buzz #2: "Don't let this impostor fool you! He's been trained by Zurg himself to mimic my every move."
- —Andy's Buzz confronts Buzz #2 for the second time
- Buzz #2: "Will somebody please tell me what's going on?"
Buzz: "It's all right, Space Ranger. It's a code 546."
Buzz #2: "You mean it's a..."
Buzz #2: "And he's a..."
Buzz: "Oh, yeah."
Buzz #2: (to Woody) "Your Majesty."
- —Andy's Buzz tells Buzz #2 about "royalty"
- Zurg: "Surrender, Buzz Lightyear. I have won!"
Buzz #2: "I'll never give in. You killed my father!"
Zurg: "No, Buzz. I am your father."
Buzz #2: "NO!!!"
- —Emperor Zurg and Buzz #2, as they fight
- Buzz #2: "I got it!"
Buzz: "Buzz, are you coming?"
Buzz #2: "No, I...I have a lot of catchin' up to do with my dad. (throws the ball back at Zurg)"
Zurg (ball hits him on his head): "Good throw, son. That's my boy. Go long, Buzzy! (fires another ball)"
Buzz #2: "Oh, you're a great dad! Yippee!"
- —Andy's Buzz runs into Buzz #2, who is playing catch with Zurg