|Appeared in:||The Good Dinosaur|
- "The storm provides!"
- —Thunderclap's motto (and last words)
"The Pterodactyls are a search-and-"rescue" team of five. They like to sit back and let the often-treacherous storms in this part of the world do their dirty work, then reap the benefits of the devastation. But when these flying hunter-scavengers set their sights on Spot and Arlo, they’re in for a big surprise.
The Good Dinosaur
Like the other members of his flock, Thunderclap is a scavenger that follows storms to prey on trapped critters. He seems to be slightly deranged, having a sort of fascination and veneration for storms. He claims that he used to be scared and shy, until he had a "relevation", when he saw "the Eye" in a storm. He believes that the storm freed him of fear. Thus he renamed himself "Thunderclap", going by the motto that "the storm provides."
Following a violent storm, Arlo and Spot are found by the Pterodactyl flock. At first Thunderclap acts friendly with Arlo, recounting to him his story. However, his true motives become apparent when Thunderclap eats a raccoon whole that Arlo helped to free. Thunderclap and the others then set their sights on Spot. Arlo and Spot flee, and are saved when the T. rexes Nash and Ramsey come to their rescue and scare away the pterodactyls.
Sometime later, Arlo and Spot are stuck in yet another storm. Thunderclap and his gang find them again and they succeed at taking away Spot. With a newly-found courage, Arlo faces off the pterodactyls and defeats them. Thunderclap is about to eat Spot, but Arlo roars as loud as ever, making him turn in fear and giving Spot the chance to attack and bite Thunderclap in the left wing, leaving a gaping hole. As he tries to fly away with his one good wing, Arlo quickly grabs and throws a stick right at Thunderclap that causes him to fall into the river where he is carried helplessly downstream along with the rest of his group.
It is unknown what happens to Thunderclap afterwards, but it can be implied that he either drowns, gets caught in rapids or is never able to fly again.
- The other four members of Thunderclap's gang are each a different species: Downpour is a Caulkicephalus, Windgust is a Guidraco, and Frostbite and Coldfront are Ludodactyluses.
- Despite only having three scenes in the film, Thunderclap is the film's main antagonist since he adds pressure to Arlo's story arc.
- Real Nyctosaurus do not have teeth or wing claws like Thunderclap does.
- Thunderclap's pervious name is unknown.
- Thunderclap is the fourth main antagonist of a Pixar film to be an animal, after Hopper from A Bug's Life, Lotso from Toy Story 3 and Mor'du from Brave.
- He is also the fifth main villain of a Pixar film who dies in his movie after Hopper, Buddy Pine from The Incredibles, Charles F. Muntz from Up and Mor'du.