The Science Behind Pixar (originally called The Science of Pixar and sometimes called The Science Behind Pixar Exhibition) is a 10,000 square-foot travelling exhibition which opened on June 28, 2015 at the Museum of Science in Boston, Massachusetts. On January 10, 2016, it started a national tour to other museums around the United States. A copy of the exhibition was created in 2017 for touring in Canada.
The exhibition features 40 exhibit elements which demonstrate the production pipeline at Pixar. They are divided into eight sections, each one focusing on a step in the filmmaking process:
- Sets & Cameras
Before entering the exhibit, visitors go into a theater to watch a five-minute introductory video. In the video, Pixar technical artist Fran Kalal and story artist Alex Woo briefly explaining Pixar's production pipeline. It also features Mr. Ray and Roz greeting the visitors and providing them safety precautions for the theater. Roz appears again at the end of the video to say that she will miss the visitors once they leave the theater.
Human-sized statues of some of Pixar's characters appear at the exhibit.
The chart below lists the museums in the exhibition's tour and the opening and closing dates at each one.
|Museum||City||Opening date||Closing date||Notes|
|Museum of Science||Boston, MA||June 28, 2015||January 10, 2016||As said in a promo, it was meant to open in 2014, but was delayed to 2015 for unknown reasons.|
|The Franklin Institute||Philadelphia, PA||March 12, 2016||September 5, 2016|
|California Science Center||Los Angeles, CA||October 15, 2016||April 16, 2017||The closing date was originally planned to be on April 9, but it was delayed to the 16th for unknown reasons.|
|Science Museum of Minnesota||St. Paul, MN||June 9, 2017||September 4, 2017||Originally, it was planned to open on May 27 before beling delayed to June 9 for unknown reasons.|
|Telus World of Science||Edmonton, AL, Canada||July 1, 2017||January 7, 2018||The tour of Canada's version of the exhibition starts here.|
|The Henry Ford Museum||Dearborn, MI||October 14, 2017||April 14, 2018|
|Science World at TELUS World of Science||Vancouver, BC, Canada||May 19, 2018||January 6, 2019|
|The Museum of Science and Industry||Chicago, IL||May 24, 2018||January 6, 2019|
The tour is expected to last for ten years with limited tour availability beginning in 2021. Another stop will be at the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry in Portland, but the dates are currently unknown.
- The introductory video is similar to the introduction video from Pixar in a Box.
- 1:55 scale die-casts of Lightning McQueen, Chick Hicks and Brush Curber appear in one of the exhibit elements.
- In an early promo, it was called "The Science of Pixar" and was meant to start in 2014, but was delayed to 2015.
- Official Website
- The Science Behind Pixar at the Official Pixar Website
- Museum of Science Website (archived)
- Franklin Institute Website (archived)
- California Science Center Website (archived)
- Telus World of Science Website (archived)
- Science Museum of Minnesota Website (archived)
- Science World at TELUS World of Science Website
- The Museum of Science and Industry Website