- Chunk: "He ain't the sharpest knife in the... place where... they keep the knives..."
Sparks: "Neither are you, Chunk!"
- —Sparks points out hypocritical humor
Sparks is one of the supporting antagonists in Toy Story 3, but in the end he reformed.
Toy Story 3Sparks is a robot toy at Sunnyside Daycare. He is one of Lotso's henchmen, He has shown to be both blunt and sarcastic. Sparks' retro design has flashing red LED eyes and a blaster cavity in his chest that spits out real sparks when he's rolling around on his wheels (but is completely safe for children). He sports telescoping arms with working pincers and he can also elevate his body to make himself taller.
When Andy's toys first arrive at Sunnyside, he shakes hands with Buzz Lightyear. When Sparks and the rest of Lotso's gang reset Buzz, Sparks unscrews his back. When Chunk and Sparks try to imprison Jessie, she kicks them both in the face. Later in the dumpster scene, when Ken states that Lotso put all of the toys in Sunnyside Daycare into a pyramid and placed himself on the top, he and Twitch (and likely Twitch as well) start to doubt Lotso's leadership as both of them look at each other. Both of them are also in shock when Lotso angrily pokes Big Baby in the stomach. They also witness Big Baby retaliate by throwing Lotso into the dumpster, and he and the rest of his fellow henchmen let Andy's toys escape. In the end, he and the rest of Lotso's former henchmen reform for the better and become nicer.
From Official Website:
|“||Sparks will fly - literally - during electrifying playtimes with your new robot friend Sparks! This retro-inspired toy has flashing red LED eyes and a blaster cavity that actually spits out real sparks when he's rolled along on his sturdy rubber wheels. Sparks also sports telescoping arms with working pincers, and an elevator action that raises his entire body to new heights. Sparking action completely child-safe. Requires two AA batteries (not included).||”|
- Sparks appears to be based on the sparking-action Transformers toys from the 1980s. These toys were considered dangerous, and are no longer able to be produced. None of the current Sparks toys made include the sparking feature; the only Sparks toy currently manufactured (the Thinkway Toy version, seen in the picture above) has a light in its chest replicating the sparking feature.
- The reason for the discontinuation of sparking toys was actually due to an instance of a Rollerblade Barbie doll released at the same time as the sparking Transformers that sported metal wheels which produce sparking effects when rolled, allegedly setting a child's underwear on fire.
- Sparks is similar to Andy's Robot, particularly his robotic arms and treads.
- Sparks has only one line; when he points out Chunk's low intelligence, he says, "Neither are you, Chunk."