Some of Pixar's notorious Easter eggs were references to the Pixar films that were coming after them. Thus, these were called at the time of release references to upcoming Pixar films. Although it hasn't been as consistent as some of their other Easter eggs, in recent years it has become a tradition for Pixar to put in each of their films a cameo of or an allusion to a character from their following film.
- Monsters, Inc. - Clownfish, the main characters of Finding Nemo, are depicted three times:
- Finding Nemo has allusions to the two films that followed it:
- The Incredibles - A non-anthropomorphic version of Doc Hudson from Cars is parked in a street of Metroville during the final battle.
- Your Friend the Rat - WALL•E is the driver of the vehicle on Mars.
- WALL•E - Carl Fredricksen's walking stick can be seen upside down (with the tennis balls attached to the feet) on two occasions. Firstly, when WALL•E is about to pull across the magnifying screen the walker is sitting behind the iPod. Secondly, when WALL•E falls down from the ceiling of his truck (after being knocked there by EVE), he collides with the walker.
- Up - A Lots-o'-Huggin' Bear is placed next to the bed of a little girl.
- Toy Story 3:
- Cars 2 - A car-ified version of the DunBroch family tapestry from Brave appears in the Ye Left Turn Inn in London.
- Brave - A wood engraving of Sulley appears in the witch's hut. Although Sulley is an original character from Monsters, Inc., this cameo was advertised as an allusion to Monsters University.
- Monsters University - Toy versions of dinosaur characters from The Good Dinosaur appear in the Scare simulators used for the final event of the Scare Games.
- Toy Story of Terror! - The paintings hung in the motel room depict dinosaurs under a tree, another allusion to The Good Dinosaur.
- Toy Story That Time Forgot - According to director Steve Purcell, the three posters in Mason's gaming room were allusions to three of Pixar's upcoming films: Inside Out, Cars 3 and Coco.
- Inside Out - Giant statues of Forrest Woodbush and Arlo from The Good Dinosaur are seen in Riley's memories of the road trip to San Francisco.
- The Good Dinosaur - A stone engraving of Hank from Finding Dory appears at the bottom of the water when Arlo learns to swim.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1 Screaming Fact About Monsters University + a Peek at Inside Out on Disney Movies Anywhere
- ↑ Pixar Fans Join the Hunt! (1:30) (Full version on Disney Movies Anywhere)
- ↑ ‘Brave’ Easter Eggs – Pizza Planet Truck, Sulley From ‘Monsters University’
- ↑ Bob Peterson on Twitter
- ↑ Pixar talks challenges of creating ‘Toy Story of TERROR!’ for television, easter eggs with Hypable
- ↑ Episode 044 of the Pixar Post Podcast - 'Toy Story That Time Forgot' Interview & Easter Egg Chat with Director, Steve Purcell