Dante is a supporting character in the 2017 Pixar animated film, Coco, and the protagonist of the short, Dante’s Lunch. He is a Xoloitzcuintli dog and Miguel's pet, named after Ernesto De La Cruz’s horse he had in films. Throughout the movie, he serves as Miguel’s “spirit guide”, helping him travel throughout the Land of the Dead.
- He is a Xoloitzcuintli, or Xolo dog, both the National Dog of Mexico and the dog the Aztecs believed had to be with you in order for you to pass into the Land of the Dead while living.
- He is the standard, hairless variety of Xolo dog.
- Pixar brought in a Xolo dog into their studio to aid with animation and to collect vocals.
- He is about 1.75 feet tall at the shoulder.
- Dante is shown to be very intelligent, being able to sense danger, understand English/Spanish, and is able to find Miguel when he is lost.