|<<||Finding Dory||Pixar Films Chronology||Coco||>>|
|Directed by||Brian Fee|
|Produced by||Kevin Reher|
|Written by||Daniel Gerson|
|Music by||Randy Newman|
|Release date||June 16, 2017|
Cars 3 is an upcoming Pixar film, its eighteenth feature film, and the second sequel to the 2006 film Cars, scheduled to be released on June 16, 2017. It will be directed by Brian Fee. At the Disney stockholder meeting on March 18, 2014, Disney CEO Bob Iger first announced that Pixar had begun pre-production on Cars 3.
In May 2016, Fee gave the first details regarding the plot: the film sees Lightning McQueen, now a veteran in the racing world, facing the rise of a new generation of race cars epitomized by Jackson Storm. Following a defeat to Storm, McQueen enlists the help of a new trainee, Cruz Ramirez, a sleek female race car, to prepare him for the the Florida 500, in the hope that he can give a game-changing performance. Fee elaborated: "Think of where he’d be in his career now in real time. [McQueen] is not an old man, but he's one of the older cars on the circuit with new rookies coming in. People start to wonder and ask when he might retire."
It was previously assumed that Pixar would order a third film in the Cars franchise after the box office and merchandising success of Cars 2. On August 17, 2013, voice actor Michael Wallis told radio audiences that Cars 3 would take place on California's Route 99. In October 2014, John Lasseter revealed at the Tokyo International Film Festival that the film will feature a tribute to Hayao Miyazaki's film The Castle of Cagliostro in a form of an old Citroën 2CV.
At the 2015 São Paulo Disney Expo, it was hinted that the film would be released in Brazil in 2018. In an interview John Lasseter did with Autoweek on the occasion of Pixar's 2015 bi-annual Motorama car show, he gave a potential release date of summer 2018 or 2019.
Lasseter later revealed on June 8, 2016, during an interview with Entertainment Weekly's Marc Snetiker, that Doc Hudson, a character from the first film who died before the second film, will be referenced several times in Cars 3.
- Owen Wilson: Lightning McQueen
- Larry the Cable Guy: Tow Mater
- TBA: Cruz Ramirez
- TBA: Jackson Storm
- Bonnie Hunt: Sally
- Cheech Marin: Ramone
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Sneak Peek Exclusive Cars 3 New Character Cruz Ramirez
- ↑ Disney Studios LA Twitter (9:00 AM - 31 May 2016 Tweet)
- ↑ Daniel Gerson, Writer of 'Cars 3,' 'Monsters, Inc.' Dies At 49
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Newman on Putin, people, politics, music
- ↑ Disney Announces Release Dates for 'Incredibles 2,' 'Cars 3'
- ↑ Disney Plans Third 'Cars,' 'The Incredibles 2'
- ↑ Incredibles Animated Sequel
- ↑ Michael Wallis confirms there will be a "Cars 3"
- ↑ John Lasseter Hails Hayao Miyazaki, Japan and the Joy of Juxtaposition
- ↑ 'Cars 3' and 'Incredibles 2' Slated For 2018 and 2019 Release Dates?
- ↑ Pixar Motorama is the Coolest Car Show You've Never Heard Of
- ↑ Pixar boss John Lasseter: Cars 3 is 'very emotional,' closer in tone to Cars 1
- ↑ Owen Wilson: "Men trust the chicks" (in Italian)
- ↑ Larry The Cable Guy Twitter (9:59 AM - 8 May 2016 Tweet)