Toy Story Toons is a short series based on the Toy Story franchise. The series of shorts take place after the events of Toy Story 3. The first episode, Hawaiian Vacation, was released with the theatrical release of Cars 2. A second episode titled Small Fry was shown with the theatrical release of The Muppets. The third episode, Partysaurus Rex, was released with the theatrical 3D release of Finding Nemo.
Two more shorts are in development, with one of them, called Mythic Rock, being released in 2013. All the episodes are planned to be aired on Disney Channel. Also, two television specials are planned for October 2013 and Spring 2014. The one being released in October 2013 will be a Halloween special and is called Toy Story of Terror.
According to an online catalog from Disney Publishing Worldwide, two new episodes are currently in development, as well as that all episodes will be shown on TV in 2012 and beyond. One of the two upcoming episodes is called Mythic Rock.
Additionally, two 22-minute television specials are planned for October 2013 and Spring 2014. The first one will be a Halloween special and is called Toy Story of Terror. The special will follow the toys on their road trip, when an unexpected event leads them to a roadside motel. After one of the toys goes missing, the others find themselves caught up in a mysterious sequence of events that must be solved before they all suffer the same fate.
The first episode of the series, Hawaiian Vacation, was first announced by Lee Unkrich in July 2010. As quoted: "We have announced we're going to do a short film in front of Cars 2 that uses the Toy Story characters. We're going to keep them alive; they're not going away forever."
On February 3, 2011 Tom Hanks recorded new dialogue for Woody as seen in his tweet on Twitter: "3 directors boss "Woody" around for Toy Story shorts. Come on, guys!", meaning he was recording for more than one episode.
- Tom Hanks' tweet, followed by a link to the third image above on the right, suggests that Angus MacLane, Bobby Podesta, and Mark Walsh will direct one or more of the Toy Story Toons. Each Pixarian mentioned is a proven leader - one director and two supervising animators, respectively. MacLane directed Small Fry, and Walsh directed Partysaurus Rex, leaving Bobby Podesta the possible directing chair.
- The series has been created due to the enormous success of Toy Story 3 and constant questions from fans requesting a fourth film.
- This is one of the few times that Tom Hanks returns to voice Woody in a bit of Toy Story media that is not a feature film.
- For some reason, Totoro so far hasn't appeared in Toy Story Toons. It is unknown if he will appear in an upcoming episode.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Tom Hanks' Twitter Account
- ↑ The ‘Toy Story’ Gang to Ride Again
- ↑ FIRST LOOK: Pixar dives deep in new bath time 'Toy Story' short -- EXCLUSIVE
- ↑ Disney Toy World Supplement 2012
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Exclusive: Toy Story 4, 5 Planned for 2013 and 2014 (But It's Not What You Think)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Pixar Announces Toy Story of Terror TV Special
- ↑ Online catalog from Disney Publishing Worldwide
- ↑ New Toy Story Toon revealed: Mythic Rock
- ↑ Closing Up the 'Toy' Box?