|Appeared in:|| A Bug's Life|
Toy Story 2 (cameo in film and outtakes)
- "Someday, I will be a beautiful butterfly, and then everything will be better."
- —Heimlich to Manny
Heimlich is a character in A Bug's Life.
A Bug's Life
Heimlich is a fat green caterpillar with a German accent who works as a clown in P.T. Flea's circus troupe. He is very gluttonous and always seems to be eating. Even during a performance, he offered to help finish one of the audience's candy corn. The fly refused, but then it turned out that he got the candy corn anyway. He then later calls the flies "Poo Poo Heads," when Francis is arguing with them.At the beginning of the film, he says that he dreams of being a beautiful butterfly. He also at one point turns gray when he sees the mural of his being killed. At the end of the film, he pops from his chrysalis, squeezes out, and sprouts a pair of tiny wings, finally a butterfly, but still resembles a caterpillar (due to his obesity), having only turned blue, and it takes the efforts of Francis, Manny, Flik, and a few other ants to get him up in the air. Whilst obese, Heimlich was carried by the rhinoceros beetle, Dim, for transport.
- Heimlich's obesity may be a reference to Eric Carle's The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
- Heimlich appears in Toy Story 2.
- He appears close-up in an outtake of the film, alongside Flik, where they express their excitement about the making of a sequel to their film, but tells Flik that the film is a sequel that is not for A Bug's Life.
- Heimlich is also present during the film: he is seen crawling on the branches just before Buzz Lightyear chops down the branches.
- While Buzz is looking for Woody at Al's Toy Barn, he passes toys of Heimlich and other characters from A Bug's Life.
- Heimlich is the second Pixar character voiced by the late Joe Ranft, after Lenny.
- Heimlich isn't a meetable character in theme parks, but he is a robotic character in the Pixar Play Parade in Disney California Adventure located in Los Angeles and Anaheim, California, and is part of the ride "Heimlich's Chew-Chew Train" in A Bug's Land.
- Heimlich appears in World of Color.
- Heimlich was possibly named after Dr. Henry Heimlich, inventor of the Heimlich maneuver.